Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper

Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper
Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Dreaming and Driving

So, the last few days I've been without Xyrem. It wasn't fun, but one thing sticks out in my mind in particular. My boyfriend drove the two of us to a party, and I was so exhausted I had to nap in the car for an hour before I could even muster enough energy to go inside. I spent the whole two hours there in a state of semi-delirium, happy not to be at home alone feeling sorry for myself, but not quite fully coherent.

As he drove us home, I saw a chip in the windshield. For those of you who have never driven in Hawaii, it is a no-fault state. This means that if a truck drops rocks or debris out and it hits your car, they are not liable for damages. And quite often, because of this, trucks don't take caution with these kinds of loads. I was annoyed but I figured I would fix it later.

I spent all of the next day doing laundry, napping, and watching TV. I forgot about the chipped windshield until it came time for me to go to work Tuesday morning. The chip was never there. It was a hypnagogic hallucination. People with Narcolepsy (PWN for short) experience this more than the average person. Before the Xyrem, these hypnagogic hallucinations were primarily happening at work. I wonder now if my narcolepsy is somehow getting worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment