Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper

Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper
Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper

Saturday, February 16, 2013

This weekend is not going to be fun...


I was pretty excited about this weekend until it came time for me to get ready for bed last night. I went to get my regular dose of Xyrem for the evening, and, lo and behold, I don't even have enough for the whole night.

Xyrem is one of the medications that my life revolves around now, and it is the key to my being able to function normally. It allows me to get the deep sleep that I can't achieve myself, since my immune system destroyed the neurons that secrete hypocretin, which is a hormone that regulates REM sleep.

When I called the central pharmacy to get my monthly refill, I had just recently had a dosage increase. The gentleman on the phone with me told me the earliest that they could get me a shipment would be the 19th of February. Now, it's not exactly easy to tell how many days of Xyrem I have left, since it's a liquid. So I figure, hey, I will have enough until the next shipment comes. 

Wrong.

It's now 3:20 AM on a Saturday and I am wide awake. And no hope of relief until Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment