Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper

Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper
Copyright © Illustration by Hadley Hooper

Saturday, February 23, 2013

When you sleep well...

...it's amazing the things you can do!

Things that other people take for granted every day.

I can wear contacts. I couldn't before Xyrem, because I would be too tired to remember to take them out before falling asleep.

I can pick up around the house a little bit every day, instead of taking one whole day to clean just one room. Sleeping well and avoiding caffeine gives me a constant level of energy throughout the day, instead of fits and starts.

At work, I can focus on one task, and manage my time effectively. This got me nominated as the Tradecraft Superstar for the month of February! Just two short months ago, I was terrified that I was going to lose my job because of medical absences and falling asleep at work.

I can start paying attention to my hobbies again! I had been so exhausted just trying to make it through the day that all the hobbies I love fell to the wayside so that I could survive. I'm not just surviving anymore. I'm living.

America does not value sleep the way it should. We reward those who rob from themselves, and give their time, energy, and life to work. But this is a classic example of robbing Peter to pay Paul: the only one who loses is ourselves.

This sacrifice is not necessary! In fact, by taking care of one's self, we are able to contribute more to society than we would if we stumbled around every day in a haze of sleep deprivation fueled by caffeine binge after caffeine binge.

Next time you feel the urge to deprive yourself of sleep for something that can in fact be done later, stop yourself. You can do it tomorrow, and you will do it better, because you will be doing it with a clear mind and healthy body. And if you can't? Ask yourself if it is really worth taking from your future to pay for the present.


No comments:

Post a Comment